Oct 6, 2012

A Mini-Card Tutorial

 
Happy World Card Making Day, everyone!
 
I want to share with you a photo-heavy tutorial on how to make a set of mini-cards using Distress Ink and heat embossing for a watercolor-resist effect.
 
Let's get started!
 
* * * * *
 
First, gather your supplies:
 
 
Heat emboss your image with white embossing powder onto watercolor paper.
I chose this cute flower stamp from Hampton Art.
 
My paper panels are 3 inch x 3 inch squares.
 
 
Swipe some Distress Ink onto a non-porous craft mat, or freezer paper, as I have here.
Spritz it with water.
 
 
Lay the embossed watercolor panel into the moistened ink and press down around all of the edges and the center to get nice, even color placement.
 
 
Carefully lift the panel from the ink.
Repeat the above step to fill in any parts that remain white, or to darken certain areas with more ink.
 
 
Carefully dry the panel with a heat tool or dryer.
I dried mine once, dipped it lightly back into the wet ink to get more color splotches, then dried it a second time.
 
The watercolor paper soaks up the wet ink nicely!
The embossed portion will resist the ink and will remain white, or whatever color you chose to emboss with. :)
 
 
Continue these steps with your favorite Distress Ink colors to all of the watercolor panels you want to create.
 
I used Worn Lipstick, Dried Marigold, Mustard Seed, Peeled Paint, Broken China, and Dusty Concord.
 
 
Now it's time to make the card base.
 
I wanted my cards to be extra sturdy, so I made my card bases with the same thick watercolor paper used for the color panels.
 
Cut the paper at 3.5 inches x 7 inches.
Score in the center at 3.5 inches.
 
 
This will make the card base a 3.5 inch square.
 
See how nicely the thick paper stands up? :)
 
 
Now it's time to complete the color panels.
 
I wanted to add a stamped sentiment to each panel, but I wanted to make sure it would stand out on the bright colors.
 
I used a small labels die to cut a few shapes from black card stock.  I cut the labels in half.
 
 
I then heat-embossed the "HELLO" sentiment onto the black paper with white embossing powder, so it would really stand out.
 
 
Once the sentiments were complete, I cut some 12 inch lengths of black grosgrain ribbon to be used to finish off the card.
 
 
I decided that the sentiment label needed a grounding spot so it didn't look like it was floating on the color panel. I used my T-square ruler and a black liner pen to draw a simple, single line around the outside edges.
 
 
I used this line as the ground for the sentiment.
I adhered each sentiment onto the panel with a glue stick.
 
 
Now it's time to assemble the cards!
 
Wrap the ribbon around the card base and tie it into a knot on on the left side.
I moved the ribbon down to the lower portion of the base, so it wasn't wrapped directly in the center.
 

 
I added some dimensional adhesive squares to the back of each color panel and adhered them to the front of the card base, over the ribbon.
 
 
That's all there is to it!
 
It really is a quick process and works best if you create the cards in an assembly-line fashion.
 
 
I hope this tutorial is helpful and gives you an idea of how to make your own set of mini-cards!
 
Please leave me a comment if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them. :)
 
Now go --- be crafty!
 
* * * * *
 

Pin It

13 comments:

Rachel Parys said...

This looks like a really fun project that I could do with my kids!! These turned out so beautiful! I love all of the cool projects you have come up with using your distressing inks!

Vicki L. said...

I was just thinking of what I could do for a Gift for my Sister. I wanted to do a Assembly-Line fashion card set, and what happened, you posted an idea for me to go by. Amazing!
She loves carnations! I'll make those for her!

Thanks for Sharing!

Vicki L. said...

Me again, are you interested in doing a Asian theme card? With your talents, I know it would be AMAZING! I would love to see what you come up with. I always wanted to make those kind of cards. They always come out Stunning!
I would that!
Thanks for everything!

Charo said...

Such a nice tutorial -- and I could feel your happiness while you were created it! Thanks!

Denice said...

What a wonderful tutorial! I love the look and easy of this wonderful card set! TFS!
:Dxx

Indy said...

Seriously love these! I pinned this idea, so I can try it when I have time! THANKS!

E. Marie said...

Great tutorial and very cute cards.

Beverly Sager said...

Bright, cheery, fun cards! Thanks for a very thorough tutorial :)

Kiekies said...

How do those die cut tool thingy-ma-jigs work? Any chance of a tutorial for a complete novice who only sees these things in the shops...

Katie said...

This is an awesome tutorial! I can't wait to give this technique a try!

alicaz said...

so cute! great idea and I will try it for sure! Thanks for the tutorial.. wish you had the Pinterest thing, I would Pin this post to my board :)

luluvision said...

Love it! Think I might try this for holiday cards. Thanks for sharing! Pinning it for later!

Cindy Jones said...

Thanks for the awesome tutorial. You inspire me!
http://cpjcreations.blogspot.com/2013/01/note-card-set.html