Oct 23, 2012

Pa-Rum-Pa-Pum-Pum: a holiday card

I wanted to work on my Distress Ink water coloring skills this weekend and I had the perfect stamp to work with.  I recently won this stamp (and two others!) from the Penny Black Inc blog.
 
It's called "JOYFUL NOISE" and he makes the cutest Little Drummer Boy!  He was illustrated by Mo Manning.  Had I not won him, I would have purchased him for sure -- he looks just like my nephew. :)
 
 
It's a large cling-stamp, too!  This card is a standard A2 size (4.5"x5") and he fills almost the entire card.  A perfect image to practice coloring and shading techniques.
 
I grabbed all of the Distress Ink colors I wanted to incorporate into the image and got to work.  He is stamped with Ranger Archival Ink - Jet Black, on thick watercolor paper.
 
 
There's definitely an improvement to be made, in regards to shading, but overall I think it's pretty cute.  I especially love his cold rosy cheeks, nose and ears... you'd get kind of cold playing the drums outside in Winter!
 
Since the image panel is so large, the actual designing of the card didn't take much.  I used designer paper from the FESTIVE collection, by Authentique.  I added some red Distress ink around all of the edges to tie it all together.  The "JOYFUL WISHES" sentiment stamp is from Your Next Stamp's "Joyful Wishes" cling stamp set.
 
 
And, miracle of all card-making miracles... I remembered to finish the inside of the card BEFORE I put away all of the supplies and sewing machine. Hallelujah! :)

* * * * *
 
 I'm entering this card into the current {SIMON SAYS STAMP AND SHOW} challenge to be inspired by Wendy Vecchi. I used my beloved Distress Inks.
 
 


10 comments:

Evy said...

What a gorgeous image! how sweet!

Hugs, Evy

Annemarie en Merit said...

Hi Annie Rose,

What a cute little drummerboy, en i like the dog.
Beautifull card!!!!!

love Annemarie en Merit

ellyscard creatief said...

What a beautiful image.
Nice colouring.
Gr Elly

Dan said...

Such a cute card, and beautifully coloured! Thanks so much for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

Kerri said...

This has to be one of my favourite images..Love your card awesome!!!

McCrafty's Cards said...

Gorgeous card Annie, I like the image, fab colouring and I like the stitching.
Kevin xx

Rachel Parys said...

this is amazing Annie!! I can't believe the work you do with those distress inks!! I love this, has a lot of holiday spirit to it!

Greta said...

Just found your blog when I discovered Penny Black on SCS looking for more inspiration. Wow--your card is wonderful with perfect coloring to me!

Dangina Martinez said...

Fantastic card! Love the image and the inside image, lol.
Hugs, Dangina

Laura Love said...

Beautiful Annie! Your distress coloring is awesome! Love all the sewing and the way that you did the inside! You are so talented! Hope you had a Happy Birthday :)