Jan 7, 2017

{DREAM IT then DO IT} a mixed media tag tutorial


It's been a while since I made a mixed media tag and I had so much fun making this one!  I'm hoping to make one each month this year, so stay tuned to see if it actually happens. Heh.

With a few challenges in mind, and a general idea of how I wanted the tag to look in the end, I grabbed my supplies and got to work:


I unwrapped the new-to-me "Three Artistic Butterflies" rubber stamp set from Hero Arts, then got started on the tag itself.  I used a large Ranger manila tag and painted the surface with a thin layer of white gesso paint.  I then spritzed on some Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist sprays for overall color.


Once the background was dry, I inked up the butterfly stamps with a Black Soot Distress Ink marker, spritzed the inked stamp with water, and stamped it onto the card.  I used my heat gun tool to quickly dry it.  It dried in a grayish color, so I then re-stamped the images over the top in a darker black ink, slightly offset.


I then stamped the butterflies onto vellum paper, using sticky VersaMark ink, and heat embossed them with white embossing powder. I trimmed around each butterfly and added some small letter stickers to each one to create the sentiment.  I then adhered the butterflies to the tag using some dimensional foam tape.


Next, I used the Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists to color some lace and some seam binding ribbon.  I placed white lace into a plastic bag and spritzed the color inside, with a bit of water, and squished it all around to distribute the color. Since I was going to be adding black spray to it, I did it in the bag to prevent my fingers from getting too stained.  I did not add black to the seam binding ribbon.  I then scrunched up the ribbon, while drying it with my heat tool, and set it aside.


I then gathered all of the I AM ROSES paper flowers I wanted to use and spritzed them to match the tag colors.  This is such a fun process, it's like instant art!  I set the flowers aside to dry.


Once everything was dry, it was time to assemble the tag.  I added some black Distress Ink around the edges of the tag, and also dabbed on some white gesso to the edges and onto the flowers.  I hot glued the lace and ribbon bow and the flowers to the tag and it was complete!


I love how it turned out and I think it's a perfect tag and perfect sentiment for the month of January and the new year!


  I'm linking up the following fun challenges:

{I AM ROSES} - December: Anything Goes
{A BLOG NAMED HERO} - January: New To Me


Thank you so much for visiting!
Luvs,
Annie Rose

6 comments:

Dawn E said...

GREAT tag!!

Emma Williams said...

What a great tag and I love all the detail and texture you've packed into it! Thank you so much for playing along and for sharing your project with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

Donna Idlet said...

Nice tag! Love the flowers and all the details you added to your card. Thanks so much for joining ABNH.

Kelly Szafron said...

Very pretty! I love the background and the butterflies! Thanks for sharing your work with us at A Blog Named Hero.

Emily Midgett said...

Fantastic! Love your color scheme. I struggle with tags so badly, and you've done such a wonderful job with this one. Thank you for the inspiration! And thanks for joining us over at A Blog Named Hero!

Coretta Grant said...

Nice work! Truly artistic creation!