Jan 25, 2017

{LOVE YOU} A Sign-Language Valentine

** Mom, if you're reading this, look away now! **


Each year, my step-dad asks me to buy or make a card for him to give to my mom on Valentine's day, and other holidays throughout the year.  He is deaf and blind which makes picking out greeting cards difficult (as well as everything else in life) but he trusts me to find or create something my mom will love and appreciate... and who would turn down a request to get crafty?  I love making these cards for him.


This year's valentine card combines my love of crafting with my step-dad's language of love:  American Sign Language (ASL).  The "I LOVE YOU" sign is a combination of the ASL finger-spelled letters 'I' (pinky up), 'L' (pointer finger and thumb out), and 'Y' (thumb and pinky finger out).  

When I bought the Paper Smooches {POLISHED} die set, I knew I wanted to use the hand for this exact reason.

I created my background by blending some dye inks onto a die-cut paper panel, then flicked on some drops of water and quickly blotted them up with a paper towel.  I then layered on more dies from Paper Smooches (frame, love word), added a few letter stickers, some diamond Stickles, and a handful of white sequins to finish it off.  The heart is actually a dark pink, but with the stickles on top, the camera made it look red. At least it still works!


I think it turned out pretty cute, and it has some 3D elements that my step-dad will be able to feel with his fingers to get a better idea of what the card looks like.  I hope they'll both enjoy it!


I'm linking up this card to following fun challenges:

{COLOR THROWDOWN} - ctd #427
{FRESHLY MADE SKETCHES} - #272 (flipped)


Thanks so much for visiting!
Luvs,
Annie Rose

8 comments:

Lori said...

Love it! Your card is a perfect fit for the giver and recipient. Thanks for joining us for this week's Color Throwdown!

Vickie Z said...

This is wonderful and perfect for your Dad! So happy you joined us at CTD!

Leigh Penner said...

Beautiful take on the colour challenge!

Wanda Cullen said...

Annie, this is truly a very special card! Love it! Thanks so much for joining us at Color Throwdown!

Aileen Ryan said...

Womderful card with a lot of meaning. Love your background blending too, looks excellent. We live in Australia but do the same sign for I love you as well.. I am hearing impaired and my daughter deaf. When we taught my grandson the first thing he said as he signed it was 'spiderman'.

Cécile RIBON said...

Love your idea to combine the sentiment and the ASL ...Definitely a very special and sweet take on the sketch. Thanks for sharing at Freshly Made Sketches this week.

Karren said...

Fabulous card and such a great take on the sketch! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Annie Rose! The colours are lovely and the sparkle looks so pretty.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Mandy xx